[P] LE PARISIEN (Fr) - 28/04/08 - Arno and Julien Doré : Kings of cover song

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JULIEN DORÉ + DIG UP ELVIS Forum Index -> Julien Doré + Dig Up Elvis ( English-speaking ) -> JULIEN DORÉ -> Press & Media Release
Lorelle
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 13 May - 03:07 (2008)    Post subject: [P] LE PARISIEN (Fr) - 28/04/08 - Arno and Julien Doré : Kings of cover song Reply with quote

LE PARISIEN (Fr) – 28/04/08

THEY ARE THE KINGS OF THE COVER SONG

Music. Le belgian rock singer Arno release today the excellent “Covers Cocktail”, a collection of revisited hits. We made him converse with Julien Doré, become too boss in the art of the cover song since " Nouvelle star ".

They already met. In studio, some weeks ago, they recorded a duet for the Julien Doré’s album “Ersatz”, the release of which is planned on June 16th. For the moment, Arno, age 58, is for the honor with "Covers Cocktail", which is released today and in which he compiles twenty years of inspired cover songs. The occasion to make converse the Belgian rock singer with the 25-year-old young man who had eluded himself marker last year during the " Nouvelle Star " thanks to his well felt version of "Moi Lolita " of Alizée. The occasion, also, to confront two singers' generations.

What is according to you the secret of a good cover song?

Arno: I don't want that that sounds as the original, otherwise it's no interesting; then I change the stuff. And then, I cannot sing as Freddie Mercury from Queen. He, it is a true singer, even if I am much more beautiful than him … Then I put the whole on my own rhythm, in my own time.

Julien Doré: the way Arno re-appropriates a song is impressive. He uses his voice as an instrument. It is this presence which raises songs.

How do you choose your covers?

Arno: that does not partake of many things. For example, if I cover the " Drive my car "  of the Beatles, it is for the " beep beep yeah " in the tune. My mother was a Claude Nougaro's fan, then I sing his song. As for Nino Ferrer's " Mirza ", it is because that speaks about a dog …

JD: during the " Nouvelle Star ", I played with pleasure the game of the covers. I had a late awakening in music, after 18 years old and my passage in the Fine art school. I then discovered Brel and Gainsbourg, of whom I cover moreover " SS in Uruguay " on my album to come. Since I recorded this disk in which appear Arno and Christophe, that does good to me to feel close to them. That helps me somewhere to place me.

And you Arno, whom did you listen to when you were Julien's age old?

Arno: Neither Beatles nor Stones. Rather Kinks, especially for their suits. I always like the blues. Everything comes from there, even the disco and the rap. As for the French singers… Gainsbourg whom I respect, stole almost everywhere, from Chopin to Gershwin by way of Liszt. There is only Jacques Brel who is really the only one.

What inspires you the current rock?

Arno: I am struck when I see some young bands as Arctic Monkeys or Franz Ferdinand playing the same music as in the 1960s, and 1970's. They are good but that annoys me, I have already heard that.

JD: I don't think that to play with already established codes is necessarily to copy. On the other hand, I have the feeling that what was considered as alternate 10 years ago became the standard. We have just to see the kind of artist looked for to the " Nouvelle Star ".

Is there a song released recently which you would want to cover?

Arno: can be " New Soul " of Yael Naim because of his " lalala la lalala lala " … I would sing willingly also Christophe's " Succès fou " (Great success) for his " Avec les filles j'ai un succès fou, hou, hou, hou " (with the girls I have a great success, " … I imagine easily the public taking it up together.

JD: it's true, it is a formidable song.

Interview by Sébastien Catroux
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Covers Cocktails": struck well

The Belgian Arno possesses a sure predisposition for the successful covers. Practising the exercise, for several decades, he serves in this album a cocktail struck well by revisited songs. Crossed by the shaker of its rocky voice, a directory coming from different horizons sees itself so played up. Among big moments, a magnificent " Mother little Helper " of Rolling Stones, the " Drive my car" of The Beatles, unrecognizable, or a "Jean Baltazaarr" mixing boldly " la fille du Père Noël" (the daughter of Santa Claus)  of Jacques Dutronc with the " Jean Genie " of David Bowie. Without forgetting I want "to break free " of Queen, exaggerated as one pleases. There where Arno goes by, the borders and the marks die.
S.C.

Arno "Cover Cocktails" (Disques Delabel)

Code Lorelle's CC Licence Attribution-No-commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported

Translation / Traduction by Lorelle is given according to the terms of Creative Commons Licence Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported / est mis à disposition selon les termes de la licence Creative Commons Paternité-Pas d'Utilisation Commerciale-Pas de Modification 3.0 Unported.
Based on a work of English Information from French Souces / Basé(e) sur une oeuvre de communication anglophone de sources francophones.
(Ckck the icon)

Publicité

PostPosted: Tue 13 May - 03:07 (2008)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JULIEN DORÉ + DIG UP ELVIS Forum Index -> Julien Doré + Dig Up Elvis ( English-speaking ) -> JULIEN DORÉ -> Press & Media Release All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation