[P] ROCK MAG 87 - APRIL 2008 - "No whore mouth"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JULIEN DORÉ + DIG UP ELVIS Forum Index -> Julien Doré + Dig Up Elvis ( English-speaking ) -> JULIEN DORÉ -> Press & Media Release
Lorelle
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 9 Apr - 22:55 (2008)    Post subject: [P] ROCK MAG 87 - APRIL 2008 - "No whore mouth" Reply with quote

MEETING JULIEN DORE
By Morgan le Bervet and François Berthier
Photo François Berthier

Click the picture to enlarge it !

Source scan : http://crazy-julien.xooit.com

NO WHORE MOUTH

Everything and especially anything circulates in the press and on the Net about his album … But Julien Doré had still never given meeting to present his current work. It is from now on made thing. With Rockmag, naturally!

We were due to  drop in the previous week, but the date had been put back because he was in height mix. Julien decides finally by February 26th. It is thus impatient persons that we arrive at 3:55 pm at the Parisian studio "de la Reine Blanche", near the "Place d'Italie".

Julien seems a little irritated when we arrive : he speaks with his manager and his artistic director of a left-hand page Myspace with his name and has severe doubts on one fan who harasses him since the passage to the Nouvelle star and who launches rumours. Atmosphere. We joke all the same about the subject and we settle around the mixing desk: Julien selected 4 titles. We dread : and if we hate?

"Acacias" It is Ben de Herman Dune who plays guitars and Morgane (Cocoon) in choirs. It is about smoothing folk song. Rather pop and melancholic.

"Pudding Morphina" It is a title written 5 years ago ' intense, sad Piece, or given rhythm by the long leak of a piano, sometimes reminding Ghinzu or Flaming Lips.

" Soirée parisienne " (Parisian evening) Title to dance sat, with Martini Gin in the hand. Atmosphere in Katerine on " Je vous emmerde", with many brass instruments and mockery. The trendy evenings are made fun : a little dumped, but Parisian people will necessarily looove it.

« Bouche pute » (whore mouth)The UFO which amazed us. This soft poem on dirty love is a little masterpiece. We feel the influence of Christophe and Benjamin Biolay. The piece ends in a very long disturbing instrumental set. Exciting.

On about fifteen, recorded titles 12 should be on the album. The tracklist thus remains to define. The singer is very concentrated during the listening, the head lowering and living totally his compositions. 15mn later, we are reassured: magnificent.
Mister Doré made a success of what nobody was really able to or knew how to make before: impose his style and his ideas without dishonest compromise by proposing a universe rather stranger of the general public. The time of the covers on TV is past: place in the creation. Exclusively musical interview !

RM: how goes the recording?

JD: First, I'm lucky to have a great team, I had "carte blanche" on everything. I have 2 great directors, Antoine Gaillet and Renaud Létang. We are divided between studios Gang and Ferber and the mix, here, in the studio "de la Reine". I could explain them that I wanted to do from the beginning. Later, the ideas came during the sessions in studio.

I listened to their propositions and those of the participants. I do not moreover see really difference between the compositions produced by the one or the other one.

RM: there are thus guests on the disk. There were many rumours on this subject …

JD: in fact, it is true meetings as with Morgane of Cocoon who made choirs. We had spoke together before. Vincent Ségal? Similar. There is also Ben de Herman Dune. Babx who helped me for texts. Exclusively true meetings, never by e-mails or by interposed record companies.
Finally, all the connections which were tried by the label did not succeed. Either texts did not please me, or it was unused pieces. I wrote 6 texts from my part … JP Nataf or Frédéric Lo? It is false. But it is my fault. I enjoyed chucking out wrong leads. But I cannot take the liberty of doing it any more. I have a beautiful product to be defended. I don't want to use that except when we piss off me with bullshit in certain newspapers. There, I would not be ashamed.

RM: there are people with whom you dreamed to collaborate?

JD: I recorded a duet with Arno, it has been a long time since I dream about it. It will be maybe on the album … Otherwise he produced a title written by Guillaume de Molina (Dig Up Elvis). Christophe also. It is just one of the rare French geniuses. We discuss quite a lot he and I.
We met at the end of the broadcast and he begins to know me, namely where from I come. We collaborated. We work on "bouche pute" whom you were able to hear … They have a paternel look. That was not able to be made with Sharko whom I like. Nor with Benjamin Biolay, regrettably, I dream to work with him. But there are problems of timetable. Otherwise for the singing(song), Bashung.

RM: there will be a Julien Doré style very different in  solo?

JD: that doesn't look like what I write with Dig Up Elvis with wich we play on major chords… There, everything is in minor. It is more film, inspired by Dick Annegam, Archives or Cinematic Orchestra. It is only me, it is thus different. In the listening of the titles, some wondered that it doesn't sound more rock. But I don't compose in the same way when I am alone.

RM: Are you afraid on the expectations of the public?

JD: I don't care to know who is going to listen to and how people are going to interpret. I have to make that I want and to take risks. I would make no compromise to be  on the radio or modify the beat of a piece because that passes better. And too bad if I sell less that Christophe Willem. If I have to make 200 times more dates to sell, I prefer. And my universe, it is Sebastien Tellier or Elliot Smith, Adam Green and Laura Marting. Then it will have can be no calibrated tune there …

RM: we have the feeling to speak to true Julien Doré and not to his media copy …

JD: I really enjoyed on stage in Baltard. I could deliver what I was really in my performances, but in the other hand, I played with my image a lot. It was necessary to learn to armour in front of cameras. Otherwise, they know how to exploit our moments of weaknesses. I do not regret: would I  have been able to meet these artists otherwise?

RM: you already have ideas for the artwork?

We began the discussions on this matter. When I was unemployed to Nimes, we bought rather the beautiful publishing of CD or DVD, thus it is necessary to propose the other thing than your face in picture on the record sleeve in a plastic box. Beautiful objects are needed as made by "Girls in Hawaï" or recently Beck. Fabrice Laffont, who had made the clip of " Moi Lolita " followed me everywhere with his DV and there will be certainly images of the album's making of. In my way naturally. Can be alternative versions of certain titles as when the guitarist of the Wampas came to do stuff … It will be different than the ukulele and the pin at least (laughter).

RM: and clips?

JD: I have an obsession for a long time: I want to realize the 1st clip. It doesn't matter the choosen single. I see shots - sequences, images with many grain. No parody, but a tribute in the old clips of Gainsbourg or Dalida.

RM: you realize what you brought to the New Star?

JD: it is true that there are more guys who arrive with a guitar, who wait during 3 hours to play their titles and they know what they want, where from they come. They know that we shall not make them play Obispo if they do not like it. And then, there is a moment, you can't blubber anymore because you are going to make a duet with Céline Dion when you call yourself fan of the rock: it's just matter of universe. And there are universes which meet badly.

A thing is sure : Julien could continue to speak about music during hours. This guy knows about what he speaks, it is a real pleasure. We leave with the strong feeling that this disk will be a true pleasant surprise, outside any media context and that it will make run away those who expect from the very wise pop. Well !

Publicité

PostPosted: Wed 9 Apr - 22:55 (2008)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    JULIEN DORÉ + DIG UP ELVIS Forum Index -> Julien Doré + Dig Up Elvis ( English-speaking ) -> JULIEN DORÉ -> Press & Media Release All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation